My herb bed has gotten a little unruly. While its lovely to see the herbs doing so well both the sage and lavender are huge and smothering the chamomile, the Rosemary is getting too big and woody , I have two fennel plants (one dead, one self seeded in the wrong place) and it just generally needs a good weed and tidy.
I tried to move the self seeded Fennel to replace the dead one, but unfortunately, I should have moved it sooner. It self seeded last year and the tap root had already grown too long so it snapped as I was trying to extricate it. I’m going to replace it with dill instead as I’m planning on growing Florence Fennel as a vegetable elsewhere on the plot so I’ll still have some if needed.
Then I found a surprise in my Rosemary bush!
A blackbird had taken up residence some time over the winter and laid some eggs. Sadly, as you can see, they didn’t survive but its nice to think the allotment provided some shelter even if was only for a little while.
I’ve taken cuttings to propagate some Rosemary this year. Pruning is not a skill I’m particularly good at and it has gotten so very woody. I’ll probably dig it up once I have some new Rosemary to replace it.
And… that’s as far as I got, part 2 to follow. I ran my first half marathon on Sunday so didn’t get back to the allotment to finish the herb bed. My time was 2:02:06 which I’m very happy with; my legs not so much!